About non-lucrative residence permit in Spain

Last updated on 2 May 2024

If you are a non-EU citizen, you can stay in Spain for a period not longer than 90 days in each 180 days, this is called a temporary stay. Some nationalities do not require special entry visas, while others do, depending on border regulations procedures and agreements between Spain and other non-EU countries. 


If you wish to reside in Spain for a period longer than above, being a non-EU citizen, you will be required to obtain a residence permit. There are very many different types of residence permits for non-EU citizens, depending on your objective of residence, and consequently the requirements for each vary. One of the simplest and the easiest to get is a NON-LUCRATIVE residence permit, which will allow you to stay in Spain initially for a period of 1 year with a possibility of renewal.


As the name suggests, the non-lucrative residence does not allow its bearer to work in Spain, meaning you need to have enough economic means or regular income elsewhere to support you and your family while residing in Spain. Considering its non-lucrative nature, such permit would ideally suit to all pensioners willing to retire in Spain, or individuals who have sufficient funds without the need to work, or those receiving passive income.


Restriction to perform professional or economic activity in Spain is basically the one and only limitation of this residence permit, as for the rest it allows its bearer not only to reside legally in Spain, but also to invest in property or shares, to enrol on educational programs, as well as to travel freely within other Schengen countries. The main applicant can also bring his/her family to enjoy the same advantages of the non-lucrative residence in Spain. 


There is a list of requirements to meet in order to qualify for the non-lucrative residence permit in Spain. The two main being:


- Have necessary economic means to support yourself and your family for the period of residence in Spain and for the return to the home country in case required. The criteria to define the sufficient level of income is based on the IPREM which is an official public income index, and which in 2024 equals to 600€. The monthly income level required for the main applicant equals to 400% of IPREM, so around 2’400€ a month or 28’800€ a year. And 100% IPREM additionally monthly for each family member (7'200€ annually).

According to the law any type of proof is accepted to show the necessary economic means (bank statements, property titles, credit cards, certified cheques), however it is always advisable to verify the documents requirements in the particular Embassy/Foreign office you will apply in, as interpretation may vary


- Health cover. Like with any type of residence permit, the applicant and the family members should possess a very comprehensive health insurance from an insurance company authorised to operate on the territory of Spain


There are also requirements to provide criminal record and medical certificates, and other documents of mostly administrative nature, and to obtain the exact list, and especially the expected documents format, it is advisable to contact the respective Spanish Consulate where you are going to submit your initial application. 


Important is that the initial application needs to be submitted personally in the country of origin or actual residence of the applicant, meaning in the respective Spanish Consulate of the country you are currently residing in. The application will be reviewed and responded to within the maximum period of 3 months, however it usually takes less time. If resolved positively, the applicant and the family members receive an entry visa to Spain with duration of 3 months – the period during which the applicant should enter Spain. On entrance it is important to obtain a customs stamp confirming the date of entrance to the country, and within maximum of 30 days apply for the residence card (TIE) locally in Spain, in the National Police office closest to your place of residence. 


The initial residence permit will have a duration of 1 year, following which you can renew it for further 2 years. The renewal process can be initiated 60 days before the expiry of your initial residence, and up to 90 days afterwards. The main requirements will remain the same, however keep in mind, that the proof of economic funds will have to cover the period of 2 years, not 1 year as in the initial application. The renewal can be processed locally in Spain


We at Malaga Expat will be happy to assist you at any stage of the process, whether you are just applying for a visa or your first TIE residence card, or renewing your Spanish non-lucrative residence permit in the province of Malaga, should you choose the beautiful Costa del Sol as the place of your residence in Spain. Please get in touch to learn about our services. 

⟵ Back to information
Relocation packages ⟶